Lixue Pavilion

发布日期:2010-05-21   字体大小:   

 

 

Lixue Pavilion was originally named the First Patriarch Hall or Bodhidharma Pavilion. It is 11.37 meters wide and 7.39 meters deep, with a total height of 8.829 meters, and is the only architecture with a main ridge and four diagonal ridges for hip roofs at the temple. Southeast the pavilion is an iron bell cast in the 17th year of Wanli of the Ming Dynasty (1589). The pavilion was renovated in 1983, and the steles on its outer wall were moved onto the Stele Corridor.

 

Bodhidharma's Transmission of Dharma

 

Bodhidharma, an Indian monk, came to Guangzhou to disseminate Buddhism in China in the first year of Datong of the Liang Dynasty (527). Crossing the Yangtse River, he travelled first to Luoyang and then to Shaolin Temple. For nine years, he meditated in a small cave of the Wuru Peak. There he founded Chan Buddhism of China combining Mahayana Buddhism and Chinese culture, thus honored as the first Patriarch of Chinese Chan.

 

Cutting off the Arm in the Snow

In the first year of Zhengguang of the Northern Wei Dynasty (520), Shenguang came to Bodhidharma Pavilion to seek Dharma when the Bodhidharma was sitting in meditation facing the wall and ignored him. Shenguang waited outside the door for a whole night in the snow in cold winter till the next morning when the snow was knee-deep. However, Bodhidharma still took no notice of him, and said firmly, "Unless it fell red snow". To prove his resolve Huike cut off his left arm and presented it to Bodhidharma as a token of his sincerity, at which point Bodhidharma transmitted the mantle and bowl to him and changed his name to Huike.

 

Tablet "Xue Yin Xin Zhu"

The tablet "Xue Yin Xin Zhu" hanging in the Lixue Pavilion is one of the five tablets written by Emperor Qianlong after he visited Shaolin Temple on September 30th, 1750. The other four are "Xiang Yan Yun Fan" and "Fa Yin Gao Ti" in Thousand-Bodhisattva Hall, "Xiu Yi Song Yun" in Abbot Room, and "Zui Sheng Jue Yang" in Bodhidharma Hall.





Share: 0