Manjusri Hall

发布日期:2010-05-21   字体大小:   

 

 

Manjusri Hall is located on the east side of Lixue Pavilion, facing the west. It was destroyed in 1928 and was rebuilt in 1983. Inside the hall is the statue of Manjusri Bodhisattva sitting on a green lion, with statues of two boys on both sides. In the glass cabinet near the north wall is the “Stone of Bodhidharma’s Shadow” which is very smooth and over one meter high, carved by posterity. At the bottom of the stone are carved Buddhist words written by Dong Qichang. Under the eaves outside the hall hangs an iron board, a tool of the temple for meals and worships.

 

 

 

Manjusri
Manjusri is the Bodhisattva associated with wisdom, doctrine and awareness, who embodies enlightened wisdom. The Sanskrit term Manjusri can be translated as "Gentle Glory". So Manjusri is also called the Gentle Glory Bodhisattva, the Bodhisattva of Great Wisdom. He is always holding a sword of wisdom and riding a lion, symbol of eradicating troubles and intimidating evils.

 

Stone of Bodhidharma's Shadow
According to legend, Bodhidharma sat in meditation facing the wall in a cave for nine years after he reached Shaolin Temple. It is so long for his shadow casting onto the stone that his image was left on the stone, with clear creases of his clothes. People call the stone as the "Stone of Bodhidharma's Shadow", which is placed in Manjusri Hall.

 





Share: 0