Thousand-Bodhisattva Hall

发布日期:2010-05-21   字体大小:   

Thousand-Bodhisattva Hall, also called Pilu Hall, Western Sage Hall, stands on the spacious platform behind the Lixue Pavilion, being the hindmost as well as the biggest building of the temple. Built in the 16th year of Wanli of the Ming Dynasty (1588), the hall had a new appearance after restorations repeatedly taken during the period of the Ming and Qing dynasties, especially the large-scaled one carried out in the 14th year of Qianlong (1775). Below the front eave of the hall hangs a large vertical tablet written with four characters "Xi Fang Sheng Ren" (Western Sage).

 

Wooden Niche

There is a large-sized delicate wooden niche made in the 15th year of Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty (1750) in the Thousand-bodhisattva Hall. Inside is enshrined and worshipped the brass statue of Pilu Bodhisattva (Vairocara) sitting on the lotus seat, cast in the Ming Dynasty with masterly workmanship.

 

Tablet "Fa Yin Gao Ti"

The tablet, written by Qianlong Emperor in 1750, now hangs above the wooden niche.

 

The Mural "Five Hundred Arhats Worshipping Pilu"

On the east, west and north walls of Thousand-Bodhisattva Hall, is the huge mural “Five Hundred Arhats Worshipping Pilu”, made upon the construction of the hall in the Ming Dynasty. There are originally 500 arhats portrayed in this wall painting, 495 of which can be identified now. The fresco is 7 meters in height, 42 meters in length, with a total area about 287 square meters. It occupies nearly all the inner wall of the hall, and is a valuable historical heritage of Buddhist painting arts of ancient China.

 





Share: 0